• Breaking News

    DISCUSSION OF POLITICS AND ECONOMICS WITH FORAYS INTO PHOTOGRAPHY AND ASTRONOMY

    Search This Blog

    Tuesday, May 10, 2016

    Mercury Transit Unseen

    With Mercury's transit across the Sun occurring yesterday, I was unprepared as I did not have a solar filter for my Starblast. But I did remember have a solar lens for my trusty old Tasco that I've had since the early 1960s.  So, after a little rummaging around in the closet, I was able to bring out the Tasco with eyepiece and solar filter. And I saw absolutely nothing.  I think the solar filter had some kind of damage and absolutely no light could get through it.  So, I tried projecting the view without the solar filter onto a piece of paper but it was hard to know if I was properly focused, especially with the paper flapping about in the strong breeze. So, it's possible I did see Mercury but I certainly wasn't able to identify it.  I guess I'll have to wait for its next transit on November 11, 2019 - let's hope it's a clear day.  But here is a quick video showing Mercury just beginning its transit of the Sun, courtesy of NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment